Monday, April 21, 2008

Potential New Job

Well, as much as I love the school I work at; actually its a very few of my colleagues (especially the ones that read this), the students, and the parents that make my job bearable. I have been in the market...yes to find a new position. Initially, I applied for a Asst. Principal type position that would also allow me to teach (which would be a dream job, and is why I am not looking to go into Admin anytime soon, because it would take me out of the classroom), but that didn't happen. I then talked to my Master teacher, who is opening a new school in Las Vegas; now this would not be a stretch, as I already have a house there and the new school is a technical school, which is huge and has all the technology already installed (unlike my current school, who has great technology, but no idea how to use it). So over the past several months I have been working on renewing my teaching credential in Nevada and interviewing for positions that come up, both high school and college.

Well, I have been offered a position, part-time right now - teaching at a University. I would be teaching in the department of Education - teaching teachers-to-be, which would be fun for me.

AWESOME, yes!! However, I would have to teach 5 classes to make what I make currently (part-time). So, I am waiting to hear if I have secured a teaching position at the new high school. If hired, I would be the Student Activities Director; while teaching social studies (world history); not my favorite subject, but I have been promised that I can offer my elective within a year (since the new school is 9 & 10 next year).

I have not said much of anything to The Borg Queen about this, but I have a feeling she knows something is up...since I haven't been in to sign my letter of intent, and won't until the very last minute. I will continue to do a stellar job and continue to teach my classes with the passion I had the first day I started. Sidenote: I am a little bummed that if I do leave, I am going to disappoint the 135 kids signed up for my AP elective; that they love, but like my predecessor said, "they often forget about you as soon as you leave" We'll see!

2 comments:

Maestro said...

One of my dear mentors once told me about dealing with students who are upset that you are changing jobs: "Tell them you'll make a deal - you'll stick around forever if they do."

Ms Characterized said...

So, since you haven't posted lately (and I know why), you've been tagged for a meme. Go to my site and copy and paste the rules, and then tell the world more about you!