Sunday, May 11, 2008

A Disturbance in the force...

So I have not been posting lately because of some many issues that I have been dealing with; however, as of Friday those have been resolved. Many of the people that know me know that I adopted a child six years ago, one with several psychological disorders. With my background in psychology, it was my belief that I could be supportive since my son's biological parents had no interest in being parents. Over the last five years, we have attempted to build an attachment. Now, I L OVE my son very much - please know that! It is very difficult to know that all my education and attempts to show him that someone loves him have failed.

He has had many run-ins with the law, and has really displayed some anti-social characteristics. Therapy, love and direction did not help the situation; there were days that I didn't sleep concerned that he was heading down the wrong path.

Now, until I write the book, you will have to wait to get the entire story; but as of Friday he was detained and booked into juvenile hall; which was very hard for me to accept, although a sense of relief came over me when it did settle in.

I just hope that he one day realizes that the issue is more than just someone loving him; but his having to accept consequences for his behavior; something that he has never had before.

I'm hoping that there will be more time to post from now on...

3 comments:

Ms Characterized said...

I'm thinkin' of you, both happy and sad for you.

Q6 said...

Sometimes I sit and wonder why I have to put up with some of the crap that comes my way--and as much as I wouldn't wish your woes upon you, it puts my issues into perspective.

What I don't get--and commend you for--is the way with which you tolerate it all. Your son may have problems, but his dad is the most grounded f**king guy I know.

Maestro said...

"It is very difficult to know that all my education and attempts to show him that someone loves him have failed"

I know its hard not to take it as a personal failure. My mom went through the same thing with my brother, and she tried everything as well. You committment to his well-being is extraordinary, and I hope he realizes it someday.